Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I Don't...

       A hot internet blog topic that even I can't resist this week is Ann Romney's recent quote: "I don't even consider myself wealthy."  Me neither, Ann.  Me neither.
 
       I don't consider myself broke even though I'm an educated, white collar worker.  I don't notice that I've been wearing the same pair of dry contact lenses for three months.  I don't notice that one-third of my paycheck goes to the government.  I never conveniently forget to bring my daycare check on a Monday because there won't be enough to cover it until Wednesday.  I don't mind that a part of that third of my paycheck goes to childcare for other mothers who may or may not have intentions of ever getting off welfare.  I don't feel embarrassed when collectors call me at work because I can't afford to pay for the remaining balance of medical bills left by the insurance company.  I don't cringe every time the breaks on my car pulsate.  I am not forgotten by the republicans or the democrats.

     Ann, I don't consider you wealthy.  I consider you filthy rich.

*I understand that context is important and has been removed from this quote considerably, but really, if politicians want us to believe that their empathetic to "everyday people," they need to take their foot out of our asses to insert it in their own mouths.


No comments:

Post a Comment