Monday, November 26, 2018

I am 35 and discovered essential oils!

I have found myself on the essential oils bandwagon. 

Let me explain...

A few years ago, I was over a friend's apartment and I was impressed by the tranquility of her living space.  She had this weird device spitting mist into the air that smelled good.  I learned it was an essential oil diffuser.  I was impressed by her homemaking skills and didn't think much of it.

Fast forward to a few years later...

My husband's beard chafes him.  He decided to make his own beard oil when some hipster sales guy tried to sell him some for $30.  That offended my husband.  He decided to make his own beard oil, using grapeseed oil, peppermint oil, and some other ingredients I don't really pay attention to.

Shortly thereafter, I see a diffuser on sale at Aldi.  There is some tea tree oil.  I buy the diffuser and tea tree oil.  I rarely use it, but use the tea tree oil and peppermint oil to fight off mosquitos and ticks over the summer.  I think it worked.  I was not attacked by mosquitos or ticks.  Win!

My 3-year-old daughter breaks the ceramic cover off of my diffuser.  My diffuser still works, it's just ugly.  I start using it more often.  I buy lavender oil and a diffuser necklace from Michaels.  The chain on my necklace breaks that day.  The lavender oil says "caution, irritant" in bold letters a few times on the label.  I do not know this at the time, but I should buy essential oils that say "caution, irritant." These are imposter essential oils.  The lavender smells good, but it's a cautionable irritant.

.My daughter also dumps my tea tree oil all over my bed frame.  I don't mind it though, because it smells good cleaning up.  I am bummed that I am out of tea tree oil.  I throw away the bottle, not knowing that I could save and reuse them for my own mixes.  I'm not on the essential oils bandwagon yet.

I don't really think about essential oils for a while.  I go about my life.  It's stressful.  My mom has cancer and it sucks.  Chemotherapy is the worst.  She wants to research diet, exercise, and other things that can improve the quality of life.  I am an expert researcher (seriously, I teach internet research).  I decide to research alternative treatments for cancer.  Not because I think peach pits or essential oils will cure my Mom's cancer.  But because I think I can find ways to make more days better and less days suck.

In my research, I fall into this rabbit hole of all of the benefits of essential oils.  Lavender and peppermint can help with feelings of calming?  Frankincense and Myrrh have anticancer properties?  I started thinking about how I can use essential oils for my Mom.  And for myself. 

I then started research different brands because I do not want cautionable irritants (I threw that bottle away). 

I ordered 5 bottles from Plant Therapy and a starter kit from Young Living.

My Plant Therapy Oils came today:  Frankincense, Myrrh, Clary Sage, Cinnamon Bark, and Lavender roll on (not a cautionable irritant). 

My daughter and I were delighted to roll the lavender oils on our wrists, neck, hair, and feet.  She knows she is not allowed to play with the bottles without me.  I also have a high shelf they will live on.

We added the Clary Sage, Frankincense, Cinnamon Bark, and Myrrh to a diffuser.   We're sitting side by side chillaxed to the max.





No comments:

Post a Comment